While dandruff on our scalp is not really rare nor an uncommon issue, dandruff in our facial hair surely is. This dandruff develops in our eyebrows and in the case of men, in their beards too. It is most often very painful to remove this facial dandruff, its occurrence being in the rarest of places.
What Causes Facial Dandruff?
There are many reasons that may contribute to the growth of facial dandruff. A few of them are:
- The overgrowth of a yeast-like fungus is the most common of the lot.
- Oily Skin
- Stress or Fatigue
- Extreme Temperatures – Hot and Cold
- Not washing your face enough to clean the dirt accumulated on your face, i.e., improper maintenance of the face.
This condition is most commonly, in scientific terminology, known as Seborrheic Dermatitis. This is most often accompanied by tender, itchy pimples on the scalp, upper back, the chest, around the hair line and on the neck.
Facial dandruff has proven to be the root cause for sensitive facial skin. Also, it always doesn’t exist in the form of white powder (the general form of dandruff), it is also very much likely that it exists in the form of pink patches, flaky and dry skin.
Harsh soaps, anti-aging or acne products are strictly a no-go for those suffering from this condition since these are products that could aggravate the infection and lead to unnecessary development.
Also Read: 6 Wonders Of Multani Mitti For Hair !!!
Medical Treatment For Facial Dandruff
Dermatologists usually prescribe oral treatment. But, if you do not wish to have a personal dermatologist, the following creams could be used to avoid facial dandruff.
1. Cleansers that control yeast organism growth are especially effective. Eg: Pyrithione Zinc soaps and Sulfa Antibiotic cleansers.
2. Clotrimazole: Antifungal cream; along with Hydrocortisone: Anti-itch cream, have proved to give amazing results when it comes to removal of facial dandruff
3. Ciclopirox or Ketocoazole Cream is to be used once or twice a week, without giving it a miss for better results
4. Hydrocrortisone cream is to be used twice daily for a couple of weeks regularly, without a break for the best results, when it comes to removal of facial dandruff.
Cure Facial Dandruff With These Home Remedies
1. Turmeric, Fenugreek, and Curd
In a bowl of curd, add a small amount of turmeric, soaked fenugreek (methi) seeds, and a little neem powder. Apply this coarse paste on your face and hair (if you want to). Wash it off with lukewarm water after an hour’s time.
2. Oil, Neem, Curry Leaf, and Turmeric
Take a cup containing coconut oil and into this, add olive oil, neem powder, curry leaves and turmeric. Mix the paste finely and refrigerate it overnight. During the time of application, warm the paste and apply it to your face, wherever necessary.
3. Neem Juice
Also, if neem leaves juice is taken daily, it would be very much beneficial for putting the problem of dandruff, both on face and hair, at bay as it is an excellent remedy for fungal and yeast infections.
4. Neem Soap
Using a soap with neem extracts is also sometimes more than enough for treating the problem of facial dandruff.
Applying vinegar with the help of cotton balls onto the affected area is another proven method to treat facial dandruff
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil could be mixed with any facial lotion and applied for the treatment of facial dandruff
7. Wash Cloths
Abrasive wash cloths have also been proved to remove facial dandruff
Other than the above methods, a regular, proper care of the face should be more than enough to keep facial dandruff at bay, along with proper hydration of the body and the face.