To examine a body minutely, several kinds of scans are used depending on the area where it is needed. Every scan reveals the status of the internal organs as well as the impact of clots, swellings, or boils that could impair bodily functions.
Here are six types of scans that are usually used by doctors-
X-rays are used to take images of dense tissues inside the body, such as bones or tumors. Other than that, abnormal masses, pneumonia, some types of injuries, dental problems, etc. are also diagnosed to detect these complications.
X-rays are used for mammography, which is a radiograph of the breast that is used for cancer detection and diagnosis. X-rays combined with computed tomography can help to generate a series of cross-sectional images of the body to view structures from many different angles.
With a fluorescent screen and X-ray, one can obtain real-time images of movement within the body such as beating heart, to view blood flow to the heart muscle. X-rays can also be used to destroy cancerous tumors and cells by damaging their DNA.
Ultrasound imaging scan is specially used in conditions where a doctor needs clarity on the affected organs and soft tissues of the body. With the help of ultrasound images, he gets proper information to diagnose and treat a variety of diseases. Sometimes ultrasound is done from outside the body, while in some cases, it involves placing a device inside your body.
CT scan is one of the types of x-rays that are used to make a 3D image of an affected area. Some of the reasons where CT scan is used are mentioned below –
- To detect bone and joint problems.
- To show internal injuries and bleeding caused by accidents.
- It helps to locate a tumor, blood clot, excess fluid, or infection.
- It is used in treatments and procedures of biopsies, surgeries. One can seek help from well-known places like Inside Radiology.
- It is used to check the effectiveness of chemotherapy or radiation on a patient.
- Provides pictures of soft tissues of the body which do not show in ordinary X-ray.
- This scan is performed on the brain to determine the cause of a stroke, or to assess serious head injuries.
- To detect abnormalities in the body, such as tumors, abscesses, abnormal blood vessels, etc.
- To show a clear picture of an area of your body before certain types of surgery.
- To examine the exact place of tumors before radiotherapy.
An endoscope ultrasound scanner is a tube-like instrument that surgeons use when they want to investigate cases related to GIST tumors. It has a unique feature to enable a detailed analysis of diseases that can occur in the pancreas. Some users of EUS scan are –
- Check pancreatic tumor’s location and size
- Find gallstones
- Diagnose diseases of the internal organs of the pancreas
- Diagnose heart-related problems
- Collect fluid samples from the stomach
Positron emission tomography is one type of scan that is used to detect and diagnose cancer-related diseases. Other than this, medical fraternity uses this scan to detect viruses related to neurology and cardiology. It can produce multidimensional, color images of the inside workings of the human body. It not only is capable of detecting what an organ looks like, but shows how a part of the body is working. It is more often used to investigate diseases like epilepsy, Alzheimer’s and heart disease.
MRI is used with the help of magnets to create an image of the tissues of the body. It helps to look at organs and structures inside your body. Doctors get help to diagnose a variety of conditions, from torn ligaments to tumors. Some of the areas where MRI scanner is used:
- Heart ailments
- Liver enlargement
- Brain problems
- Joint problems
- Breast cancer
- Evaluation for infertility
- Tumors, cysts