Think Pink! Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2016
Breast cancer affects 1 in 8 women in their lifetime. And, although the death rates have been decreasing, there is still a very significant about of deaths caused by breast cancer. This type of cancer is the second most deadly cancer faced by women! The month of October has been declared as the Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2016!
While the death tolls are still high, it is always important to stay positive and think of the rising rate of survivors!
In view of breast cancer awareness month 2016, we decided to take a look at these amazing women who fought breast cancer and managed to win the fight!
Survivors of Breast Cancer:
The iconic lady in the orange and gold saree, dancing to the song ‘Aaj Kal Tere Mere’ in the movie Brahmachari, is a definite inspiration to all of us today!
Mumtaz, our very own Bollywood Diva, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2000 and has now come out victorious after a very long battle! As she said “I don’t give up easily. Even death will have to fight me.’
2. Wanda Skyes
Everyone knows and loves this crazy, down to earth woman. Her comedy acts will have your stomach aching from laughing too hard! But, did you know that in the year 2011 she was diagnosed with ‘stage-zero’ breast cancer?
Wanda made the brave decision to have a preventative double mastectomy, after considering her family medical history.
Also Read:Lung Cancer Awareness Month 2016
3. Olivia Newton-John
The star of the musical movie ‘Grease’ and the heart throb of many, Olivia Newton-John found herself a victim of Breast Cancer in the year 1992. She faced many difficulties physically and mentally but, managed to stay positive right through. Later, she underwent partial mastectomy, chemotherapy and breast reconstruction and is now breast cancer free!
She has begun the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Centre. But, has dreams that one day it shall simply be a wellness center, as there will be no more need for any cancer centers!
4. Giuliana Rancic
This former E! News host was diagnosed with breast cancer in October 2011. Thankfully it was diagnosed in one of the earlier stages and was cured after undergoing a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.
She then proceeded to laughing her own campaign called Fab-U-Wish, which grants all fashion, beauty and celebrity themed wishes to women fighting breast and ovarian cancer!
All four of these ladies stress upon how important early detection and self-evaluation is!
Breast Cancer Self-Test:
In view of breast cancer awareness month 2016, we urge you to go out and get a routine check-up done or, at least make it a point to perform a self-evaluation.
- Puckering of the skin
- Changed nipple position
- Inverted nipple
- Fluid discharge – milky, yellow or watery fluid, or blood
Steps to a Thorough Self-Test:
1. Stand in front of the mirror with your hands on your hips and shoulders straight. Keep an eye out for any irregularities in looks – discoloration, changed or inverted nipple, puckering of the skin.
2. Raise your arms, while standing in front of the mirror and check once again for any changes in the way they appear.
3. Proceed to evaluation by touch. Make sure that you cover every single inch of the breast properly. First begin with a light touch, to check the outer surface. Then apply slight pressure to check the tissue. And, finally, apply pressure until you can feel your ribs, to check the deep tissue which is located right at the back.
4. You can try this while you are in the shower. And, it is even better if you try this once while standing and again while sitting.
Should you find any such irregularities, make sure you visit your doctor as soon as possible and get it tested immediately! Remember that early detection is the best chance you have at winning this fight!
Also, remember to spread awareness among your mother, sisters and friends. And show your support for those in battle by wearing PINK, in view of breast cancer awareness month 2016!
Also Read:About Ovarian Cancer