Your Complete Fruit Guide
The quest to lead a healthy life is never ending for most of us. With chain restaurants popping up everywhere, every pizza is leading nowhere but to certain doom. It’s high time we adopt a healthy lifestyle to prevent diseases and keep our bodies healthy and fit. Those washboard abs and perfect butt are not that far away if you regulate food intake. Studies have shown that food intake is more influential in determining weight and body structure than exercise, as certain food regulates muscle texture. What better super food can one fathom, more than fruits? Fruits contain a healthy dose of fibers, vitamins, minerals, sugars and all nutrients that one could possibly need. A fruity detox diet is recommended once every two months to rid the body of all toxins.
Fruits to Avoid on an Empty Stomach
That being said, some fruits are considered bad to eat on an empty stomach. Usually, these are acidic fruits which add up to the acids on an empty stomach and cause problems. Avoid these fruit on an empty stomach.
Tomatoes contain high levels of tannic acid which increase the acidity in the stomach and cause acid reflux and gastric ulcers.
The epithelial cells of pears are crude and fibrous, which might damage the delicate membranes of an empty stomach which are full of acid.
3. Citrus Fruit
This includes oranges, grapefruit, lemons, and sweet lime. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, which is citric acid. The acidity of this acid adds up to the acidity of an empty stomach, which might induce gastritis and stomach ulcers.
Although bananas are considered a great diet food and are very good for health, they must be avoided on an empty stomach. Bananas contain huge amounts of magnesium and potassium, which leads to a spike in potassium and magnesium levels in the blood. This might cause heart problems.
Benefits of Fruits
Ever wondered what fruits can actually do for you? Take a look at all these amazing benefits that you can receive through fruits.
- Fruits contain great amounts of natural antioxidants that detoxify the body and help in the functioning of the kidney and liver.
- It fills you up, which aids in weight loss.
- They contain natural substances that reduce cravings and help in reducing weight
- An increased consumption of fruit reflects on skin and hair – skin becomes clear and radiant because of the antioxidant action.
- The fiber present in fruit helps in healthy bowel movements.
- Fruits contain good sugars, which are easily broken down by the body.
- It energizes the body and makes you feel fresh and light.
- A host of essential vitamins and minerals are present in fruit, which means that you can reduce the intake of synthetic supplements.
- Eating certain fruits on an empty stomach prevents indigestion to a great extent.
- Fruits aid in the absorption of vitamins from other sources as well.
- The pectin in fruit controls cholesterol levels.
Also Read: 5 Fun and Tasty Detox Smoothies
Fruit Detox Diet Plan
Experts recommend a fruit detox diet every two months to cleanse your body and lose some stubborn pounds. Go through our diet plan today, try it out and see the difference for yourself! Follow this regimen for three days before you continue with your normal diet plan.
- Breakfast: Protein shake + water + bowl of papayas, mangoes, avocados
- Midmorning snack: Bananas
- Lunch: Vegetable salad with olive oil dressing + bowl of assorted fruit (apples, watermelons, grapes, kiwis, pears, bananas, oranges etc)
- Evening snack: Lemonade/fruit smoothie + nuts + pomegranates
- Dinner: Legume salad with olive oil dressing + sprouts + lean meat/egg whites/soy protein + fresh fruit salad/smoothie with kiwi
Guidelines to Follow
Here are a few things to keep in mind before you attempt this detox diet. Remember that you must also beware of your body will trying something new.
- Consult your physician before you adopt this diet, as it is low in protein.
- Follow this diet for three days every two months.
- This is a severe three-day diet plan which entails less physical stress and movement so, do not go overboard with muscle-building/brisk exercise while on this diet as it might lead to strong hunger pangs. Stick to light jogging or yoga. Yoga is most helpful during this diet regime as it calms the body and soul.
- Try not to add ice to smoothies.
- Drink 12-14 glasses of water every day to flush out all the toxins. Drinking enough water is imperative to this diet plan.
- Avoid- canned/tinned fruit. The fresher the produce, the better. Stick to organic produce for the healthiest results.
- Stay strictly away from caffeine, tea, carbonated drinks, sugary food, junk food and other meat while on the program.
- Avoid alcohol and cigarettes during this time.
- Consume protein supplements as the protein intake might be too low.
- A stress-free lifestyle is important for the success of this diet plan, as stress hormones interfere with the detoxifying process. Meditate every day to aid the detox process.
Pros of the Fruit Detox Diet
Here is what each food in the diet has to offer you and what you stand to gain at the end of the three days. You can customize your own diet plan based on your body requirements.
Rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, iron and dietary fiber, it aids bowel movements and reduces the risk of developing cancer, hypertension, and diabetes. As the adage goes, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away”! Studies have proven that an apple wakes you up faster than coffee!
This wonder diet food is filling and solid, reducing hunger pangs. Bananas contain potassium, magnesium and a host of vitamins which fight anemia, aid in weight loss and provide necessary sugars. Bananas also heal mosquito bites, aid in depression treatment and promote eye health.
Avocados prevent bad breath, keep eyes healthy, and aid in maintaining healthy skin. They reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and helps in weight management. They provide a substantial amount of monounsaturated fatty acids which are good for health.
Papayas fight cancer and treat muscular degeneration. They help in maintaining young-looking skin and helps in proper functioning of the stomach. They also aid in intestinal maintenance.
This sweet fruit naturally provides sugar to the body. Mangoes fight against colon cancer and prevent macular degeneration. It improves bone health and promotes hair growth.
Watermelons are a stunning 92% water, with 8% packed with nutrients. This fruit rejuvenates the body and provides energy. It has significant amounts of vitamin A, B6 and C, along with many antioxidants and amino acids.
This fruit from the land down under is a high source of vitamin C, which helps maintain healthy gums. It induces sleep and rest and helps in overnight digestion. It is also a good source of dietary fiber.
This fruit contains high amounts of antioxidants and iron, which maintain blood pressure and hemoglobin content. It improves heart health and maintains sugar levels. It reduces the risk of cancer and treats diarrhea and dysentery.
This citrus powerhouse contains vitamin C which is important to maintain healthy gums. It also helps in inducing menstruation in women, making it a natural form of birth control.
The powerful antioxidants present in grapes, like polyphenols, prevent more than seven types of cancer. Grapes are important for heart health.
Pears are a great source of dietary fiber. They also boost immune system functioning and speed the wound healing process. They improve digestion.
It is necessary to keep the body hydrated, for healthy skin, hair and nails. A healthy intake of water is necessary for good kidney functioning, and to cool down the body. Toxins are flushed out because of water.
Sprouts are a great source of vitamin C, A, and K. They also contain amounts of fiber, manganese, protein, copper, potassium, and iron. They are a wonder food which fills you fast and gives you nutrition.
Nuts are packed with protein and contain great amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, which aid health and nutrition.
Cons of the Fruit Detox Diet
Keep in mind that there are downsides to this diet. If you think that it will cause more damage than help, avoid this diet at all costs.
- Fruits are not a great source of protein, so this diet might not be the best bet for people who are involved in a lot of physical labor.
- This diet must be implemented only once in two months; there might be bad health implications if followed too often.
- The low carb diet might leave some without enough energy.
- The diet is low in calcium, which might lead to health issues.
This detox diet yields great results if followed the right way. Did this work for you? Let us know in the comments section down below! Make a difference to your body today.
*Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog post are a result of research by the author and the author alone. Please use your discretion before taking any decisions based on the information in this blog. The author will not be responsible for any damage caused. Consult a physician before taking any steps, and report your problems, if any, to a health care professional. This article may be subject to change without notice.