Double Chin Mayhem
One of the greatest difficulties to befall the womenfolk of the world is the double chin! We get it, ladies. Whatever you do, it just doesn’t seem to go away! It keeps getting bigger and escalates to levels of double and triple (gasp!). It brings down your self-esteem and makes you feel miserable. While it is definitely important to love yourself for who you are and embrace you in all your beauty, there is nothing wrong in looking good so that you can feel good! Own your body and consciously make changes so that you love the way you look. There are many natural ways to hide a double chin at bay and look flawless. Go through our guide to getting rid of that pesky double chin and rule the streets!
What Causes a Double Chin?
It is important to understand the cause of this pesky piece of tissue which has become the bane of our existence. The main causes of a double chin are the following:
- Ageing: This is a natural part of development. As you age, the skin and muscles around the chin and neck lose elasticity, which makes them sag and develop a double chin.
- Genetics: You might be genetically inclined to develop a double chin as your genes might dictate that excess fat and water be stored in the skin tissue under the chin.
- Lifestyle Choices: Your posture and lifestyle are very important when it comes to determining the shape and size of your body. People who tend to bend down while looking at their phone or a book are more likely to develop a double chin as it affects the malleable tissue under the chin. Similarly, people who do not devote time for exercise are more likely to get double chins.
- Diet: You are what you eat. If you indulge in junk food which is rich in carbs and fatty acids, you are bound to get deposits of fat under your chin, and in the face as well. Keep away from carbs, ladies!
- Obesity: This is a medical reason which manifests in your face. Medical obesity is a serious illness which has to be cured with conscious medication and lifestyle choices.
How to Hide a Double Chin
We’ve listed both natural and artificial means to hide a double chin. Find out the best method for you!
- The first thing to do is to clean and wash your face so that the makeup stays put and doesn’t wash off quickly.
- When you use foundation, use a shade darker than your skin tone on your neck so that you can play with light and shadows.
- Do not overdo this shade as it might look like a beard on your chin and neck. Instead, blend in successively darker shades of foundation from your chin to your neck.
Keep the makeup as dry as possible, by using powder on the liquid foundation so that it looks natural.
Play around with the illusion of light and shadow on your makeup.
Define your jawline with a contouring brush and dark shades, with lighter highlights.
All areas under the jawline must be darker, while areas above the jawline must be lighter and more sculpted.
Use a bronzer instead of blush to add sheen and shape to your cheekbones.
For light skin, use a rose tinted bronzer, and for darker skin, use a gold tinted bronzer.
Use a bronzer on your chin and nose to highlight the features.
Use a silicone sponge, a thick brush, or a beauty blender to blend in the entire makeup.
Make sure that there are no lines visible on your chin or neck.
Blend in all visible lines with a thick brush so that the look is natural.
Use face powder or a highlighter to highlight your cheekbones and forehead, drawing more attention to it than your neck.
Contour the side of your chin as well, drawing the jawline from one side to the other.
2. Eye Makeup
Draw maximum attention to your eyes so that your double chin is not very obvious. The best way forward for this is to make your eyes look dramatic and bold.
- Make your eyebrows look prominent and long by filling them in and keeping them proportional.
- Your eyebrows must form an elegant arch over your eyes. Make sure that you have the right eyebrow shape for your face.
- Experiment with dramatic shades of eyeshadow to make your eyes pop. Use Love to Slay for free makeup samples to experiment with.
- Dark shades like maroon, azure and black are definitely in!
- Bring out your eyeliner skills and wing it.
- Once you’re done with winged liner and eyeshadow, pop on fake lashes for extra density.
- Finish off the look with some dark black mascara as the final touch for flawless, dramatic eyes.
3. Lip Makeup
You need to draw attention away from your lips to make sure that your chin goes unnoticed. Stay away from dark, show-stopping colors for your lips. Stick to neutral shades like nude, coral and blush to keep minimal stress on your lips.
Go for shades that complement your skin tone, and use a lip liner to emphasize the shape of your lips too to hide a double chin. You can also use clear shades of gloss to add some shine to your pretty pouts. If all fails, go for matte lipstick shades as they look minimal and flawless.
Your hair can drastically alter your appearance. To hide a double chin, your hair can be your saving grace.
If you have medium or long hair, keep it tucked in a high pony to make your face look tighter. Updos are your homies here, to make your face look more proportional and to hide a double chin. You can also let your hair flow in front, as this also makes your neck look longer and hides double chins.
The clothes you wear can magically alter the size and shape of your body. If you are top heavy, invest in clothes that draw attention to the bottom part of your body and vice versa. If you are keen to avoid a double chin, stay away from close necked clothes. This means no turtlenecks, no Chinese collars, and no high necked blouses!
Keep your wardrobe stacked with V-necked blouses, scoop necked clothes and deep necked outfits to show off your collarbone and make your neck look longer. A longer neck means that your double chin can be hidden better. This outfit pattern makes you look more balanced as well, around the shoulder area. Check our guide to wearing clothes for your body shape.
As discussed before, incorrect posture can be a reason for embarrassing double chins. Your posture says a lot about how you are as a person. Incorrect posture can convey a sense of insecurity and low confidence and have physical repercussions as well.
- While looking at your phone, reading a book or a newspaper, make sure that your head is straight and not bent. The same rule applies while looking at your computer or laptop as well.
- Both while sitting and standing, keep your back straight, and pay special attention to your neck. Your back and neck have to be aligned in one straight line.
- While operating a laptop or computer, your arms have to be at right angles at the elbow, with the monitor at eye level. This is so that you don’t have to bend your head in order to look at the screen.
- The entire body’s posture has to be perfect so that your head doesn’t bend or sway while carrying out day to day activities. Consciously remind yourself to pay attention to your posture and body language so that you develop this as a habit and follow it as routine.
There are numerous exercises you can try out to keep your double chin at bay. These double chin exercises can be performed anywhere – at home, school or the workplace. They take minutes to perform, and the results are apparent. Try them out today!
Stay away from any food that might cause you to bloat. This includes gluten, fried food, and baked goods. Here are a few diet changes that you can make to hide a double chin:
- Keep away from saturated fatty acids.
- Make fruit and lean meat a part of your diet.
- Adopt a healthier way of life by trying a fruit detox diet.
- Eat sprouts and fruit every day to reduce the overall amount of fat in the body.
- Do not eat red meats or indulge in alcohol, tobacco or caffeine as they cause the face to bloat and make your chin look larger and more prominent.
- Drink eight glasses of water every day to keep your skin hydrated and fresh. This removes dark circles and under-eye bags, which also makes your face look fresh and young.
9. Medical Treatment
You can undergo surgery to remove your double chin, by using skin tightening means and plastic surgery. It is recommended to seek proper medical guidance before attempting any of these means. Consult a registered medical practitioner before you invest in these treatments.
Self-love is the best love, ladies. The only thing you can love without any inhibitions is yourself. So embrace your inner beauty and let the real you shine! Adopt these tips today to look and feel phenomenal! Did these tips work? Let us know in the comments section below!
*Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this blog post are a result of research by the author and the author alone. The author will not be responsible for any damage caused. Consult a physician before taking any steps, and report your problems, if any, to a healthcare professional. This article does not aim to hurt the sentiments of any individual. This article may be subject to change without prior notice.