can predict with near certainty that you have ever got acne or you will get them at some point in your life. According to statistics, acne affects about 85% of people at one point in their life.
It is a skin condition that usually occurs when your hair follicles become plugged with oil and dead skin cells. In most situations, this condition causes blackheads, pimples or whiteheads.
Acne usually occurs on the face, the chest, the forehead, shoulders and the upper back.
What are the Causes of Acne?
There are several things that causes acne but the most common are the ones listed below.
- Excess oil production
- Hair follicles clogged
- Dead skin
- Excessive activity of androgens.
Besides the above causes, there are several other factors that can worsen this condition. The below listed factors may have some influence in triggering acne or even aggravating them.
- Hormones-especially androgens in teenagers can worsen acne condition.
- Diet-As the old saying goes, you are what you eat, there are certain types of foods that you can eat and eventually worsen the condition.
- Stress-When you are stressed, this condition is likely to worsen.
- Certain medications including those that contain lithium, testosterone and corticosteroids.
Although there are some conventional treatments that are highly effective in treating acne, most of them are associated with adverse side effects such as skin dryness, irritation and scar developments.
For these reasons, most of the people have turned to natural home remedies to get rid of acne at home.
So, keeping this in mind I am going to discuss the top 5 best natural remedies for acne.
1. Aloe Vera
This is one of the most common natural remedies for several skin conditions. Aloe Vera contains some of the most effective properties that can help fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
Aloe Vera is a common tropical plant that when squeezed produces a clear gel which is effective in treating acne. There’s limited studies on this but existing researches shows that aloe Vera is effective to a certain extent. One study shows that consistent use of aloe Vera can effectively dry and eliminate acne.
How to use Aloe Vera for acne treatment
- To use Aloe Vera, get Aloe Vera leaves and squeeze its clear gel.
- Clean the affected area before applying it.
- Apply this gel on the affected area by massaging in circular motions.
- For visible results, you should do this at least 2 times a day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
ACV is made by fermenting apple cider. The fermented apple cider has several properties that can help you in eliminating acnes for good. This product is well-known for its ability to fight several types of bacteria and viruses.
ACV contains several organic acids that will kill acne. As a matter of fact, one study shows that CV Succinic acid is very effective in suppressing inflammation which is caused by P.acnes.
How to use ACV for acne
- Take some ACV and mix with water in the ratio of 1:3. If your skin is sensitive, then use more water.
- Now clean your face and dry it thoroughly.
- Apply the mixture and let it settle for some time before rinsing it off.
- For quick results, do this at least two times a day.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Although there’s limited evidence that tea tree oil can help in treating acne at home, there are several testimonies from prior users. This essential oil is extracted from the leaves of Malaleuca Alternifolia. This essential oil has all the properties needed to fight bacteria.
It is also very popular in reducing inflammation.
One study shows that if you apply 5% tea tree oil on the affected area, it can be very effective in reducing acne.
How to use Tea Tree oil for acne
- Mix water and tea tree oil in the ratio of 1:9
- Clean and dry thoroughly the affected area
- Apply tea tree oil on the affected area using a cotton ball
- You can apply a moisturizer if needed (Optional)
- Do it at least 1-2 times a day for noticeable improvement.
4. Witch Hazel
Witch Hazel contains tannins and several other compounds that can help reduce inflammation, fight bacteria and also help dry the affected area. With all the properties, witch hazel is used widely for treating several skin conditions including acne.
5. Take Fish oil supplement
Fish oil contains Omega-3 fatty acids that have incredible health benefits especially in fighting acne and several other skin conditions.
Studies show that most of the people don’t get enough omega-3 fatty acids from their diet and that’s why they are facing a lot of complications. What this means is that taking fish oil can have significant influence in treating acne and several other skin conditions.